Mason City Surgery Center has implemented several new actions, along with our existing infection control processes in response to the COVID-19.
COVID-19 Actions to Limit Exposure for Patients, Family and Healthcare Providers:
- Hand sanitizer is provided throughout the Center.
- All surfaces are decontaminated between each patient encounter and at the conclusion of each day’s cases per national standards. This includes pens and electronic keyboards, blood pressure cuffs, thermometers, etc.
- All cases scheduled have been reviewed by your provider and our team to ensure that it is appropriate to be performed during this time.
- All patients are screened for Covid-19 symptoms and/or exposure during the PreAdmission phone call.
- Screening occurs again prior to entrance into the Center.
- Patient’s family or caregiver are asked to drop patient off at the Surgery Center’s front entrance if at all possible and provide a phone number for postop call and discharge teaching needs.
- One escort will be allowed in with the patient. 2 escorts will be allowed for any pediatric patient who requires a rear-facing car seat.
- No one under age of 18 will be allowed in the facility unless they are the patient.
- Please maintain social-distancing of 6 feet apart from others. The floor is marked to aide in this effort.
- Screening for Covid-19 symptoms, exposure history and temperature monitoring is completed for all who enter the building (staff and patient/escort).
- Shall be worn by all patients/escorts/staff in the facility. The front screening station will provide patients with one disposable mask.
- Cloth masks will be allowed only for the patient’s parent/escort. If the parent/escort does not have a mask, they will be given a mask.
- If the mask appears ill-fitting or is determined to be inadequate (thin neck gater, etc.), the escort will be given a disposable mask.
- Please wear the mask at all times while in the Center even when in a private room.
- For your safety, avoid touching the outside of the mask. When removing, touch only at the strings and dispose in a nearby trash can.
- Wash or sanitize hands immediately after removal and any time you may have touched your mask.
- After registration, we will take you directly to a room if possible. However, you may have a short wait in our waiting lobby.
- Please maintain social distancing. Chairs have been arranged to maintain 6 feet apart.
- The lobby will have designated areas for arriving patients/escorts and waiting escorts.
- Please keep personal belongings with you (jackets, etc.).
- There is a vending machine available for light snacks/drinks.
- Coffee is available upon request.
- Please keep your mask on at all times.
- Once in the PreOperative area, there are hand washing areas and hand foam available as needed.
- The Facility will be utilizing standard and recommended practices related to anesthesia protocols, airway needs, air exchanges and cleaning our rooms.
- Written discharge instructions will be reviewed prior to and after your procedure.
- A copy of this information will go home with you to share with your family member/escort.
- If your family member/escort is not present, they will be called when it is time to pick you up. Discharge instructions will be reviewed with your family member/escort either in person or over the phone.
Post-Operative Follow-Up call:
- You will receive a call within 1- 3 days after your procedure asking how you are doing.
- Please let us know if you are exhibiting any signs or symptoms of Covid-19.
Safety Precautions At Home:
- Wear a protective cloth mask if venturing outside your home or yard.
- Wash your hands or hand sanitize often:
- Prior to and after touching your dressings
- Before and after eating, using the restroom, coughing, sneezing or touching high use items (door knobs, cell phones, TV remotes, computer mouse, sink and bathroom knobs etc.).
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue and dispose of tissue after or cough into your elbow.